Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Commonly Asked Questions

Call me mean but I find it rather annoying when I keep bumping into people with misconceptions about the fashion industry. So to enlighten the clueless folks, I've compiled a list of frequent misconceptions and commonly asked questions.


1. Dressing Up Artistas - Unbeknownst to many, these glamorous femmes don't usually pay for the clothes they wear on TV, events, award shows, concerts, etc. The stylist (whether their personal or the designated fashion stylist for the said event)-- or in some cases, the road manager does the job-- borrows or pulls out ready-made clothes or samples from designers. Sometimes they have a budget to rent out these pieces, often times they're pulled out for free with the promise of an "on-cam thank you" or a special shoutout after the segment. I can count with my one hand the artistas who actually orders clothes for them to wear on TV or any occasion. One of them is Kris Aquino, a most sought-after client for most designers in the country, because once she loves you the orders just keep coming and she pays well. And so when the clothes aren't sponsored, there is no need to thank the designer. So please quit asking me if my name will be heard on SNN. Kris pays whenever she orders. Which brings me to the next question...

2. Why Not Give Free Clothes To Be Greeted - I'm a businesswoman first, a designer second. I'm also not a fame whore. I'd rather earn money than hear my name on TV, thank you. :)

3. Artistas Rule The World - NOT! The real fashion makers-or-breakers are stylists, editors and creative directors. Showbiz-wise, the designers only really care about the A-list (whom the moneyed parties listen to a.k.a. our ideal client).

4. Ateliers Need Window Display - No, not really. In Paris and New York, ateliers are tucked away and unbeknownst to many unless you have an appointment or are a fashion insider. Ones who also sell ready-made pieces in their atelier/shop SHOULD have a window display but other than that, I don't see it as a prerequisite. I for one like my privacy and prefer only to entertain clients who have an appointment.

5. WHY NOT JOIN PROJECT RUNWAY - Because not every young designer wants or needs to. Fame is not everything darlings. Just because you're on TV doesn't necessarily make you an overnight sensation. If it did then EVERYONE would be in PRP. If you are already in business, sometimes it's better to just concentrate on your orders and current clients instead of going on a 2-month hiatus. But that's just my opinion.



So I hope this helps. And that is all folks!



Cza

No comments: